This is BIG: It is now possible to travel to Tibet by train via the Qinghai-Tibet Railway, the highest altitude railway in the world. Though getting to Tibet by train takes much longer than by plane, you will witness thousands of miles of unrivaled charming landscapes that you will never see from a plane window. This is why Tibet Railway has been the first choice for most travelers to Tibet.
Train Travel Schedule and Pictures for your reference, please click link here
47 hours 04 minutes; distance: 4064km Lhasa-Chengdu:
45 hours 40 minutes; distance: 3360km Lhasa-Chongqing:
46 hours 32 minutes; distance: 3654km Lhasa-Shanghai:
48 hours 58 minutes; distance: 4373km Lhasa-Guangzhou:
56 hours 10 minutes; distance: 4980kmYou may also have your terminuses at Golmud, Xining, Lanzhou or Xi'an. Below are some facts about the Qinghai-Tibet Railway
* Qinghai-Tibet Railway is the world's highest railway. Some 960 kilometers of its tracks are located 4,000 meters above sea level and the highest point is 5,072 meters, at least 200 meters higher than the Peruvian railway in the Andes, which was formerly the world's most elevated track.
* The railway is the world's longest plateau railroad, extending 1,956 kilometers from Qinghai's provincial capital Xining to Lhasa in Tibet. The newly completed Golmud-Lhasa section zigzags 1,142 kilometers across the Kunlun and Tanggula mountain ranges.
* About 550 kilometers of the tracks run on frozen earth, the longest in any of the world's plateau railways.
* Tanggula Railway Station, 5,068 meters above sea level, is the highest railway station in the world.
* Fenghuoshan Tunnel, 4,905 meters above sea level, is the world's most elevated tunnel on frozen earth.
* Kunlun Mountain Tunnel, running 1,686 meters, is the world's longest plateau tunnel built on frozen earth.
* Upon its completion, the maximum train speed is designed to reach 100 kilometers per hour in the frozen earth areas and 120 kilometers per hour on non-frozen earth.
* Construction of the Golmud-Lhasa section of the landmark railway commenced on June 29, 2001 and test runs are set for July 2006.
Qinghai-Tibet Railway Map
Tibet Train Travel Photo Album
Tibet Ctrip Service
is a professional and local Tibet Travel agency and tour operator based in Lhasa. If you dream to have a Qinghai Tibet train trip, simply click here to contct us
and leave the rest to us.But please be aware that to avoid the pick season of train travels which may results to no single sleeper ticket can be guaranteed,here we kindly advise our clients to take train to Lhasa from November to end of next March,and take train out of Lhasa from April to October,this case we can help you out with the train tickets bookings,and you still do not need to give the Qinghai Tibet train travel a miss. Here
is what our clients said about their train travels.